Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Beginning

I am a small town girl from Snohomish, Washington; who left everything she knew to try to make it big in Southern California. I moved down to the Ventura area dreaming of my new life. It was going to be a glamorous one; filled with shopping, mingling with Katy Perry and laying out at the beach. I was going to live the life that I had always wanted and it was going to be magical.

As soon as I arrived the reality of what life would be like hit me. Sure it was wonderful, the temperature above 65 90% of the time, the palm trees, great shopping and of course the beach full of tanned life guards a mere 30 minutes away. My first summer here was beautiful, I nannied for my Aunt and Uncle, I made $150 a week for laying by the pool, taking my nine year old cousin to the park, and doing crafts with her. It was wonderful, I was tan, I was rich, and I was living the dream. The only thing I didn't have was friends. Knowing I wasn't ready to give up a life of luxury just yet, I enrolled in a local school to finish my degree and make the kind of life I have always dreamed of for myself. 

As I started making friends, it became absurdly apparent that I was on the low end of the socio-economic scale. My parents made just enough for us to fall above the work study line, but not enough to actually pay for my school. I had to work 15 hours a week for minimum wage. Now I know that this doesn't sound unnatural, and at first I didn't mind, but it seemed to me like everyone I was meeting never had to work, they could spend all they wanted and they were going to graduate completely debt free. Talk about getting you down. I was working my butt off and was going to graduate $40,000 in debt. 

A year and a half later I am finishing up my senior year of college and ready to graduate and continue pursuing my goals. I have a wonderful boyfriend who I want to marry, I have great experience with which I hope to get a job, I want my own apartment for a while, and I want to help people out. I am definitely still a working girl, I balance 3 jobs working about 30 hours a week, a full 19 credit school load, along with a boyfriend, and a personal life. I am still learning a lot about myself, and about life and I am definitely not perfect. But I would like to start helping women, and men, learn to push themselves out of an unhappy life and learn to live the life they want. Whether that is status, wealth, happiness, relationships, anything at all. I want to offer my advice and my help because I know what it is like to be working hard for goals that you wish to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment