Last night the strangest feeling overtook me, and I decided to do some improvising in the kitchen! I pulled from a few different recipes because of the ingredients I had, and modified it a bit to be a tad bit healthier. So here it is, my somewhat healthy, homemade mac and cheese.
Homemade Mac and Cheese
1/4 cup of butter
2 1/2 tablespoons of flour
2 cups of cheddar cheese
3 cups almond milk
Veggie pasta - I used Rotini because that is what I had
- Melt the butter in a saucepan on low heat. Make sure to watch it because burnt butter is the worst. once the butter has melted add in the flour one scoop at a time. Add in a little extra to make it a nice thick mixture. I also started cooking the pasta at this point.
- Add in the milk, pour it is slowly and stir the entire time you are adding it in. keep the heat fairly low, because again, burnt milk is the worst.
- Once your milk is done, add in the cheese. I added in 1 cup at a time and really let it melt. I also turned the heat up a little bit to medium. I stirred constantly.
- After the cheese melted, I added a little more flour, because the almond milk was not getting quite as thick as I wanted.
- Then I put my pasta back into the pot, with the heat off. I added some shredded cheese in there, then poured the cheese over it. I put the heat back on low and stirred occasionally.
- I then sauteed some mushrooms and put those in the pasta then enjoyed!
It was fabulous! My suggestions for next time? I would add bacon with my mushrooms, then put it in a casserole dish. Top it with bread crumbs and cheese and then bake it for a while. Maybe 20ish mins on like 250? Just something to brown the top and give it some crunch. I would also experiment with additional cheeses. Maybe add a Parmesan cheese?
If you try the recipe, please let me know what you added so I can try it!