Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Homemade Mac and Cheese

Last night the strangest feeling overtook me, and I decided to do some improvising in the kitchen! I pulled from a few different recipes because of the ingredients I had, and modified it a bit to be a tad bit healthier. So here it is, my somewhat healthy, homemade mac and cheese.

Homemade Mac and Cheese

Ingredients:

1/4 cup of butter
2 1/2 tablespoons of flour
2 cups of cheddar cheese
3 cups almond milk
Veggie pasta - I used Rotini because that is what I had

Directions:

  1. Melt the butter in a saucepan on low heat. Make sure to watch it because burnt butter is the worst. once the butter has melted add in the flour one scoop at a time. Add in a little extra to make it a nice thick mixture. I also started cooking the pasta at this point.
  2. Add in the milk, pour it is slowly and stir the entire time you are adding it in. keep the heat fairly low, because again, burnt milk is the worst.
  3. Once your milk is done, add in the cheese. I added in 1 cup at a time and really let it melt. I also turned the heat up a little bit to medium. I stirred constantly. 
  4. After the cheese melted, I added a little more flour, because the almond milk was not getting quite as thick as I wanted. 
  5. Then I put my pasta back into the pot, with the heat off. I added some shredded cheese in there, then poured the cheese over it. I put the heat back on low and stirred occasionally.
  6. I then sauteed some mushrooms and put those in the pasta then enjoyed! 
It was fabulous! My suggestions for next time? I would add bacon with my mushrooms, then put it in a casserole dish. Top it with bread crumbs and cheese and then bake it for a while. Maybe 20ish mins on like 250? Just something to brown the top and give it some crunch. I would also experiment with additional cheeses. Maybe add a Parmesan cheese?

If you try the recipe, please let me know what you added so I can try it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment