Friday, May 10, 2013

My Struggle with Debt

"Live like no one else, so later, you can live like no one else." -Dave Ramsey

Debt absolutely, 100%, sucks. Like sucks so bad I want to punch it in the face and stomp on it while cussing it out. I hate it. Now I know most people do, I mean no one LIKES having debt. But I don't know how I could actually live with it. As a natural wanderer, I find not having the freedom to do what I want almost soul crushing. I just look at all these things that I want to do and realize me debt is what is keeping me from fulfilling that role. 
One of the things that just really gets me is all the money I send to the banks. I have paid off 1 loan, but my MINIMUM monthly payment on my student loans....$756.21 That is what goes out of my pocket automatically for my student loans. BTWs I make $1055 a paycheck. Luckily I have a financially sound Fiance who lets me pay a lower portion of rent. So my rent and my loans are $1156. If I had to pay full rent in DC, I would not make enough money with a full time job to pay loans, rent, gas and food. Not to mention anything fun! 
The hardest thing for me is my credit card. I finally had to cut it up. I didnt have the self control for my "emergency" card to be used outside of emergencies. I had to get rid of it. Which is scary for me. It was almost nice having that much money there if I needed it. Although it would not be nice to continually get my self into it. 
I don't mean this to complain. Because I am working hard at getting out of debt, but I wonderfully got engaged! So now I am splitting my left over money after necessities, between a wedding fund and paying off that loan a little quicker. It is really tough. I always feel like I am not doing enough. But I am doing the best I can. My new date is still mid 2015, but that seems like a lifetime away. 

I have so many things that I want to do. I want to write, I want to travel, want to live abroad, want to own my own business, want to have the freedom to build wealth. But I cannot do that with debt. That is why I am taking a stand and getting out. 

Sorry for the rant. Today was pay day, I usually get both depressed and excited when payday comes. My whole check has been spent already, but I am that much closer to being completely out!


No comments:

Post a Comment